The cover shot shows “SØRLANDET” at the start of the Bergen tall ships race 2014
ABOUT THE SHIP
Construction of the ship started in 1925 at Høivolds Mek shipyard in the city of Kristiansand, Norway. On completion in May 1927 she was given the name Sørlandet after the region from where she originated. The ship was in service as a training vessel for the Norwegian Merchant Marine until 1939. In April 1940, shortly after World War II started, she was seized by Germany and used as an accommodation vessel for German submariners. After the war she was restored and ready to sail again by 1948.
In 1958 she was equipped with an engine, one of the last European tall ships to do so. In 1981 the “Stiftelsen Fullriggeren Sørlandet” foundation was established and has been the owner and operator of the vessel ever since. From 1980 to 1983 Sørlandet was the only operational Norwegian sail training ship and the first open to men and women of all ages and nationalities. Since 1982 she has made several Atlantic crossings, visiting ports in the USA and Canada and the Caribbean. During these years she also carried out a series of summer cruises in the North and Baltic Sea visiting ports on the European continent.
Port of registration: Kristiansand
Rig: Full Rigger
Sail Area: 1240sqm